Sunday, December 9, 2012

274 Newport - The Beginning


We've been gypsies since we met in 2005.  Truth be told, I've been a gypsy for almost 20 years and Keith has just been going along with it since 2005 because he loves me and because he's a kind, giving husband.  But a man has his limits and when we moved to Denver in 2011 he told me that this would be his last cross country move.  Funny what love does to you because I'm cool with that and don't even feel anxious knowing I'll likely live in Denver forever.  

Knowing that Denver is our final stop on this train we went out looking for our forever home.  We thought it pretty darn fortuitous that we found ourselves buyers when the housing market had hit bottom and was beginning to rebound.  This was the first of many lessons in this forever home education.  Turns out that the housing market in the city of Denver was hot - red hot - and there were no deals to be found.  In fact, after looking at no less than 50 homes and losing several homes for various reasons, I was about to give up when we found our home.  

This home at 274 Newport Street went on the market in early July.  We were scheduled to see it at 5:00 on the day it went on the market (we learned we had to be fast in this Denver market).  But, in the late afternoon our realtor, Janie, called us to let us know the home had already sold.  After a few tears and some choice words, I swore I was done and handed the home searching reigns over to Keith.  

But on July 20 I received a text from Janie at 6:45 a.m. that read "Hey, remember the Newport house?  The deal fell through and it's back on the market.  I'm setting us up for a showing at 8:30."  

Let me cut to the chase - Janie was writing our offer by 9 a.m. as three other parties were also looking at the house.  By noon there were three offers on the house (including ours) but we had become veterans and vowed not to lose another house so we offered a little more than asking price.  Rather than start a bidding war, the owners accepted our offer by 3 p.m. the same day.  




Our forever home was soon to be ours.  Here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment